Cost of dune upkeep worries Lavallette
LAVALLETTE — While the borough eagerly awaits the federally funded coastal dune system along northern Ocean County, the cost to maintain such protection could be a concern.
“It does [worry] me to some extent,” Mayor Walter LaCicero told The Ocean Star on Feb. 15.
The funding issue came up at the borough’s Feb. 6 council meeting, where news that the borough would be footing part of the bill ...
MANTOLOKING — Close to five years after Superstorm Sandy, work is about to get underway on the new borough hall.
The original borough hall building was heavily damaged during Sandy in late October 2012 and borough hall offices have been in temporary quarters on Drum Point Road in Brick since.
Last Friday, Feb. 10, Mantoloking officials received a Notice to Proceed from borough attorneys signaling the borough’s contractor, Wallace ...
POINT PLEASANT — The waters of the Atlantic Ocean were at a chilly 35 degrees off the coast of Point Pleasant Beach on Saturday afternoon as costumed thrill seekers prepared to take a frigid dip in the name of charity.
Over 100 plungers dressed in bathing suits and wetsuits, polar bear hats and unicorn masks, ran into the ocean on the Point Pleasant beach on Saturday, Feb. 11, at ...
POINT PLEASANT BEACH — The vacant Dunes by the Ocean Motel would become part of the borough’s history if plans for redevelopment of the property are approved.
The owners of the property have proposed demolishing the motel, which has been a fixture in the borough since the 1960s, and building a 16- unit condominium complex on the site.
In an application filed with the borough board of adjustment, ...
POINT PLEASANT — On Jan. 28, Roe Avenue resident Kevin Rooney received a call from local police officials that changed the course of his family’s life.
Officials told Mr. Rooney his son Christopher, 25, had been injured in a serious motorcycle accident.
“That was the worst phone call I had ever received in my entire life,” Mr. Rooney told The Ocean Star Feb. 14.
“There’s that pause and you ... don’t ...
More Local News Headlines
- Avon looks to secure more funding for lake project (Avon-by-the-Sea, 02/16/17)
- Heights to move on from assessment company (Spring Lake Heights, 02/16/17)
- Manasquan Elementary announces honor roll list (Manasquan, 02/16/17)
Click on a date to view events for that day.
Or, click here to submit your own event.
- Young Designers Fashion Sewing I
Monday, 04:00 PM—05:30 PM
- Special Projects In Home Decor
Monday, 10:00 AM—01:00 PM
- Mindful Meditation
Monday, 11:00 AM—12:00 PM
This Weekend’s Events:
- Sewing Machine Basics For Adults
Saturday, 10:00 AM—01:00 PM
- Allaire Benefit Luncheon
Saturday, 01:00 PM—05:00 PM
- Restorative Yoga With Kim
Saturday, 10:30 AM—12:00 AM
- Itty Bitty Basketball Clinic
Saturday, 12:00 AM—12:00 AM
- What Do You Know About African American Inventors?
Saturday, 10:00 AM—12:00 AM
- St. Mary's Annual Gift Auction, "Amazon Adventure"
Saturday, 05:00 PM—12:00 AM
- Sea Girt Recreation Aspiring Artists
Saturday, 09:30 AM—12:30 PM
- Sixth Annual Winter Wine And Beer Tasting
Saturday, 07:00 PM—10:00 PM
- Blood Drive
Saturday, 09:00 AM—02:00 PM
- From Trios To Goes: Weather Forecasting With Satellites
Sunday, 02:00 PM—12:00 AM
- Buffet Breakfast Fundraiser
Sunday, 09:00 AM—12:00 PM
- Ocean Fire Company Fishing Flea Market and Fishing Collectible Show
Sunday, 08:30 AM—02:30 PM