MANASQUAN — Residents and visitors are invited to participate in a multitude of fun activities, capped off by fireworks, during this year’s Big Sea Day set for Saturday, Aug. 6. The rain date is Aug. 7.
The Manasquan Recreation Department has released a calendar of events for Big Sea Day, a tradition in this seashore town for more than a century.
- Manasquan Fishing Club Fishing Contest for kids of all ages will be held from 8 a.m. to noon at the Manasquan Inlet, at the eastern end of Riverside Drive. Prizes including fishing poles will be awarded.
- Big Sea Day Surf Competition, sponsored by Manasquan High School Parents Surf Club, will take place at Inlet Beach on Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The rain dates are Aug. 13 and 14.
- Beach Smash Baseball Tournament, sponsored by South Shore Sign Company, will take place between Riddle Way Beach and Main Beach, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Sandcastle Contest, sponsored by Manasquan Tourism Commission, will take place at Riddle Way Beach. Sign up begins at 9:30 a.m. at the Riddle Way Gazebo. Sandcastle building takes place between 10 a.m. and noon. Judging starts at noon.
- Children’s tattoos, sponsored by the Manasquan Beach Improvement Association, will be offered at Ocean Avenue/Elks Beach from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- A marine animal display, sponsored by New Logic Marine Science Camp, will be presented at Ocean Avenue/Elks Beach from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- A beach concert featuring the Orange Blossoms band, sponsored by Manasquan Tourism Commission, is set for 7:30 p.m. on the Main Beach Stage.
- Fireworks display, sponsored by Leggett’s Sand Bar, will begin at 9 p.m. Fireworks will be launched from Whiting Beach toward Main Beach. Aug. 7 is also the rain date for the fireworks.
This is an excerpt of the print article. For more on this story, read The Coast Star—on newsstands Thursday or online in our e-Edition.