MANASQUAN — The borough is looking to add five more pedestrian-mall nights along downtown Main Street, for a total of 10 nights this summer. The plan would close the downtown section of Main Street to vehicular traffic on Thursday evenings from June 23 through Labor Day weekend, with the exception of July 28 during the Firemen’s Fair.
The borough council already has approved five specific nights that were requested by the Manasquan Chamber of Commerce.
But a change.org petition called “Save Main Street Dining,” was circulated in April by Chef Lou Smith of the Blend on Main restaurant, calling for additional nights, and the request was discussed during a workshop session at the council’s meeting on Monday, May 2.
Council President Brian Holly said, “We had several discussions with a group of people that got together and discussed possibly opening it up for another five Thursdays. That would make 10, as compared to the 32 last year.”
Mr. Holly said he believes the council members concur that the borough should host the five additional nights, and council members indicated they may offer a resolution to that effect at their next meeting on May 16.
This is an excerpt of the print article. For more on this story, read The Coast Star—on newsstands Thursday or online in our e-Edition.
Subscribe today! If you're not already an annual subscriber to The Coast Star, get your subscription today! For just $34 per year, you will receive local mail delivery weekly, with pages and pages of local news and online access to our e-edition on Starnewsgroup.com.