Historical sites featured in new borough banners

831 views
FILE PHOTO

POINT PLEASANT BEACH — The borough’s new banners are now flying over eight historic downtown spots, some known and some not so well known. 

The banners, a joint project with the Fisher Family Fund, feature photos and information about each location.

According to Kristen O’Rourke, the borough’s quality of life director, the historic sites were sourced from the book “Point Pleasant” by Jerry A. Woolley. They include:

ADVERTISEMENT

  • Buckelew’s Market — George P. Buckelew, a successful businessman in Farmingdale, opened his Point Pleasant butcher shop with his son William around 1908. Buckelew’s Market was located in the Laug Building at Arnold and River avenues and also offered canned goods and groceries.
  • Hotel Richmond — Currently occupied by Point Lobster on the corner of Route 35 South and Arnold Avenue, Hotel Richmond opened in 1903. The 13-room hotel added and opened a barroom in 1905 and was run by H.W. and J.R. Bissey until its sale in 1967.
  • Jenkinson’s Beach Train — The beach train opened in 1949 as an amusement and served as transportation between Jenkinson’s North and the main Pavilion. The track ran mainly parallel to the boardwalk with a loop at either end and operated until Aug. 31, 1996.
  • Gottlieb’s — Michael Gottlieb’s Point Pleasant Department Store located at 641 Arnold Ave. opened in 1898 and remained in business for 80 years. The building still stands today after being saved by the Fisher Family and Mayor Paul Kanitra and plans to reopen are currently underway.
  • Point Pleasant Hardware Company — The Point Pleasant Hardware Company was established in 1885 and its current building was built in 1902. It was the most successful hardware business in Ocean County and still stands today at its 528 Arnold Ave. location as Bain’s Hardware.
  • Ocean County National Bank — The Ocean County National Bank was established in 1901 and became one of the largest banking institutions in the county, printing money until 1935. The bank expanded after a fire with a new vault and moved the entrance from Railroad Square to Arnold Avenue.
  • Grove Theater — Built by Ralph Borden and Alonzo Carver in 1920 on Arnold Avenue, the Grove Theater closed after being damaged by a fire in 1950. The building itself still exists today at 607-609 Arnold Ave. behind a modern façade.
  • Trolley No. 2 — Trolley No. 2 passes on Arnold Avenue near Clark’s Landing in 1910. Cars numbered 1-5 were purchased in 1894 from the Brooklyn Rapid Transit Railroad and were built by Lewis & Fowler.

Check out our other Point Pleasant Beach stories, updated daily. And remember to pick up a copy of The Ocean Star—on newsstands Friday or online in our e-Edition.

This is an excerpt of the print article. For more on this story, read The Ocean Star—on newsstands Friday or online in our e-Edition.

Subscribe today! If you're not already an annual subscriber to The Ocean Star, get your subscription today! For just $34 per year, you will receive local mail delivery weekly, with pages and pages of local news and online access to our e-edition on Starnewsgroup.com.