Family flees early morning fire in West Belmar home

1464 views
A house at 1722 Bay Shore Court in the West Belmar section of Wall Township caught fire early Monday. PHOTO COURTESY OF WALL FIRE CO. 1

WALL TOWNSHIP —  A family escaped when their home on Bay Shore Court went up in flames around 2:20 a.m. Monday, police said. It was the second residential fire in West Belmar in three days.

Two of the residents, a parent and girl, and one firefighter were taken to Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune, where they were treated for minor injuries and released, said police Lt. Chris Scerbo. The house was left uninhabitable.

Lt. Scerbo said the fire apparently started after a towel was left on a heater downstairs. The girl woke up and alerted her parents, and they were able to flee, he said.

Several neighbors adjacent to the home also were evacuated as a safety precaution,  he said.

Responding to the fire were all three Wall fire companies, as well as companies in Neptune Township, Sea Girt and Spring Lake. The Wall Township First Aid & Rescue Squad, Wall Community First Aid Squad and Belmar First Aid Squad, Monmouth County Emergency Management, New Jersey Natural Gas and Jersey Central Power & Light also responded.

Investigating are Detective Thomas Lasko, Ptl. Karleigh Niedt and the Wall Township Fire Bureau.

On Friday, a house on 18th Avenue caught fire when it was struck by an out-of-control pickup truck. The driver was apprehended and charged with driving while intoxicated and several other offenses.

For more on this story, read next week's edition of The Coast Star—on newsstands Thursday or online in our e-Edition.

[wall_cs]

Subscribe today! If you're not already an annual subscriber to The Coast Star, get your subscription today! For just $30 per year, you will receive local mail delivery weekly, with pages and pages of local news and online access to our e-edition on Starnewsgroup.com.