Sentence of time served concludes ‘Coach Bart’ case

0
744 views

BELMAR — Bartholomew McInerney, a former St. Rose High School baseball coach, known as “Coach Bart,” was sentenced Aug. 25 to time already served in connection with his July 10 guilty plea to 10 counts of child endangerment.

The charges stemmed from sexually explicit conversations with high school baseball players he had been coaching.

The Superior Court Appellate Division had ordered a new trial in 2012, citing con- fusing instructions given to the jury. However, Mr. McInerney opted to enter a guilty plea on July 10 rather than face a retrial.

Edward Bertucio, Mr. McInerney’s attorney, said, “The sentencing went better than expected.”

As part of the plea deal, Mr. Bertucio said Mr. McInerney will not face any jail time, probation time, parole supervision for life, community supervision for life or have to register as a sex offender un- der Megan’s Law.

At the original trial, former players said Mr. McInerney had instructed them to masturbate and send him text messages detailing the act, and that sometimes he also provided them with condoms. Mr. Bertucio said during an appeals court hearing in February that those conversations “had no sexual purpose” but were meant “to instruct young men not to get girls pregnant or contract social diseases.”

One of the young men, Andrew Clark Jr., of Spring Lake Heights, died in 2008 after being struck by a train. Andrew was on the baseball team at St. Rose before transferring to Manasquan High School. His family filed a wrongful death suit and, in 2014, won a $900,000 settlement in a consolidation of cases against St. Rose High School, the Diocese of Trenton and Mark D’Onofrio, whose home Andrew was drinking at the night he died.

Mr. Bertucio said the plea agreement included “a civil reservation of rights” which means that Mr. McInerney “cannot be sued in the future” in connection with the case.

With 10 victims’ desire for closure and the defendant accepting responsibility for his actions the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office accepted Mr. McInerney’s guilty plea Monmouth County Assistant Prosecutor Meghan Doyle said.

For more on this story, read The Coast Star—on newsstands Thursday or online in our e-Edition.

SHARE
Jennifer Ortiz
Jennifer Ortiz is a Reporter at The Coast Star. She can be reached at jortiz@thecoaststar.com or at 732-223-0076, ext 23.