Brick School District loses $720K in state aid

0
251 views
BRICK TOWNSHIP — Brick School District officials are working to come up with a plan to address a $720,000 cut in state funding from the already finalized 2017-2018 school budget. The cut was formally announced by the New Jersey Department of Education on Friday, July 14. The cut in state aid totals $720,507, bringing the district’s total state aid for the 2017-2018 school year to $35,304,821. Originally, the district had budgeted for $36,025,328 in state aid. The board approved the district’s $154 million 2017-2018 budget in May, according to final figures from the Department of Education. Last year, the district received $36,025,328. The cuts were significantly lower than the original proposal of $2.2 million in cuts to state aid funding in Brick, which Board of Education President John Lamela said would have had “a devastating impact” on the district. The cuts were the result of a school funding plan by Senate President Steve Sweeney and Assembly Speaker Vincent Prieto to provide $146 million in additional aid to underfunded districts and reallocate Adjustment Aid from districts receiving more than 100 percent of their fair share of state funding, according to a joint press release. In response to the cuts, Mr. Filippone said the district is currently in the process of examining the budget to determine where the $720,000 can be pulled from. “We will do everything in our power to not eliminate staff or programs that directly benefit our students,” Mr. Filippone said July 17. “We will be holding a special meeting of the board of Education some time next week to discuss and vote on our proposal.” The special meeting is scheduled for Thursday, July 27 at 6 p.m. at the Professional Development Center, located at 101 Hendrickson Ave.

For more on this story, read The Ocean Star—on newsstands Friday or online in our e-Edition.