Mantoloking receives reimbursement for Sandy debris cleanup

0
194 views

MANTOLOKING — The borough is one of 17 shore communities to receive funding from the Ocean County Board of Chosen Freeholders to reimburse monies spent on debris cleanup post-Superstorm Sandy.

The borough received $306,226, according to a press release from the county. The reimbursements were announced during the board’s May 31 preboard meeting.

As a participant in the county’s debris removal program following Superstorm Sandy, the township was eligible to receive some of the $9.3 million in funding awarded to the county through a Community Development Block Grant through the state Department of Community Affairs, according to the release.

The funds cover the borough’s 10 percent obligation for the cost of debris cleanup, which came to $3,062,264, according to Mantoloking Police Chief Stacy Ferris.

Following the storm, Mantoloking was one of 17 municipalities to enter into a shared services agreement with the county.

Under the shared services agreement, the county oversaw and funded debris cleanup. The county was then reimbursed by both the Federal Emergency Management Agency [FEMA] for 90 percent of the cost while the towns reimbursed the remaining 10 percent.

The agreement allowed towns to free up staff to attend to other storm-related activities and provide assistance to residents, according to the release.

According to Chief Ferris, the funds from the reimbursement will be used to pay off any outstanding debt incurred from Superstorm Sandy.

“The borough had taken out an emergency bond for $7.1 million dollars and we are in the process of paying that off,” Chief Ferris said.

Since Superstorm Sandy, which devastated the barrier island community and destroyed nearly 150 homes, Mantoloking has made a great deal of progress in returning to its pre-Sandy state, Chief Ferris said.

 

For more on this story, read The Ocean Star—on newsstands Friday or online in our e-Edition.